Support this ministry by using the companies and products you see on this blog


Monday, July 10, 2023

Upper Room Lessons on Relationships




This is the manuscript of the sermon in the "Lessons from the Upper Room sermon series preached at Christ Church Los Angeles.

Just imagine that we were able to slip into the upper room where Jesus and his disciples are spending their last moments before Jesus’ arrest and crucifixion. Jesus tells his disciples that they must not only understand the meaning of love, but they must love one another as he has loved them. He promises them a home forever with him. In their future hours of discouragement, they will remember his gracious promises. He wants them to comprehend the blessings, privileges, and responsibilities resulting from their personal relationship with him and how that relationship affects their relationships with each other and with the world.

The lessons that Jesus taught his disciples in the Upper Room are lessons for us today.

Text: “I am the vine; you are the branches. If you remain in me and I in you, you will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing” (John 15:5 NIV).


Scripture:


John 15:1‭-‬27 NIV “I am the true vine, and my Father is the gardener. He cuts off every branch in me that bears no fruit, while every branch that does bear fruit he prunes so that it will be even more fruitful. You are already clean because of the word I have spoken to you. Remain in me, as I also remain in you. No branch can bear fruit by itself; it must remain in the vine. Neither can you bear fruit unless you remain in me. “I am the vine; you are the branches. If you remain in me and I in you, you will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing. If you do not remain in me, you are like a branch that is thrown away and withers; such branches are picked up, thrown into the fire and burned. If you remain in me and my words remain in you, ask whatever you wish, and it will be done for you. This is to my Father’s glory, that you bear much fruit, showing yourselves to be my disciples. “As the Father has loved me, so have I loved you. Now remain in my love. If you keep my commands, you will remain in my love, just as I have kept my Father’s commands and remain in his love. I have told you this so that my joy may be in you and that your joy may be complete. My command is this: Love each other as I have loved you. Greater love has no one than this: to lay down one’s life for one’s friends. You are my friends if you do what I command. I no longer call you servants, because a servant does not know his master’s business. Instead, I have called you friends, for everything that I learned from my Father I have made known to you. You did not choose me, but I chose you and appointed you so that you might go and bear fruit—fruit that will last—and so that whatever you ask in my name the Father will give you. This is my command: Love each other. “If the world hates you, keep in mind that it hated me first. If you belonged to the world, it would love you as its own. As it is, you do not belong to the world, but I have chosen you out of the world. That is why the world hates you. Remember what I told you: ‘A servant is not greater than his master.’ If they persecuted me, they will persecute you also. If they obeyed my teaching, they will obey yours also. They will treat you this way because of my name, for they do not know the one who sent me. If I had not come and spoken to them, they would not be guilty of sin; but now they have no excuse for their sin. Whoever hates me hates my Father as well. If I had not done among them the works no one else did, they would not be guilty of sin. As it is, they have seen, and yet they have hated both me and my Father. But this is to fulfill what is written in their Law: ‘They hated me without reason.’ “When the Advocate comes, whom I will send to you from the Father—the Spirit of truth who goes out from the Father—he will testify about me. And you also must testify, for you have been with me from the beginning.


Text: “I am the vine; you are the branches. If you remain in me and I in you, you will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing” (John 15:5 NIV).


Introduction

Just imagine that we were able to slip into the upper room where Jesus and his disciples are spending their last moments before Jesus’ arrest and crucifixion. 


First, put yourself in Jesus’ place. Suppose you are about to leave your disciples and you must give them last-minute instructions on how to carry on your work. What would you say to them? Or suppose that you are one of those disciples and you are heartbroken at the thought of your Lord going away. You are confused, frustrated, and overwhelmed by all that is happening.


In the upper room, Jesus tells his disciples that they must not only understand the meaning of love, but they must love one another as he has loved them. 


John 13:34‭-‬35 NIV “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.”


He promises them a home forever with him. 


John 14:1‭-‬3 NIV “Do not let your hearts be troubled. You believe in God ; believe also in me. My Father’s house has many rooms; if that were not so, would I have told you that I am going there to prepare a place for you? And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come back and take you to be with me that you also may be where I am.


In the meantime, he will be with them every step of the journey. 


John 14:15‭-‬18 NIV “If you love me, keep my commands. And I will ask the Father, and he will give you another advocate to help you and be with you forever— the Spirit of truth. The world cannot accept him, because it neither sees him nor knows him. But you know him, for he lives with you and will be in you. I will not leave you as orphans; I will come to you.


In their future hours of discouragement, they will remember his gracious promises. 


John 14:26 NIV But the Advocate, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, will teach you all things and will remind you of everything I have said to you.


He wants them to complete the blessings, privileges, and responsibilities resulting from their personal relationship with him.


  1. What was their relationship with Christ?  (John 15:1–11).

  1. Jesus used many metaphors to illustrate himself, his work, and relationships. 


For example: He was the light, 


John 8:12 NIV When Jesus spoke again to the people, he said, “I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life.”


He was the gate some translations say He was the door


John 10:7‭-‬10 NIV Therefore Jesus said again, “Very truly I tell you, I am the gate for the sheep. All who have come before me are thieves and robbers, but the sheep have not listened to them. I am the gate; whoever enters through me will be saved. They will come in and go out, and find pasture. The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy; I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full.


He was the shepherd, the good shepherd


John 10:11‭-‬16 NIV “I am the good shepherd. The good shepherd lays down his life for the sheep. The hired hand is not the shepherd and does not own the sheep. So when he sees the wolf coming, he abandons the sheep and runs away. Then the wolf attacks the flock and scatters it. The man runs away because he is a hired hand and cares nothing for the sheep. “I am the good shepherd; I know my sheep and my sheep know me— just as the Father knows me and I know the Father—and I lay down my life for the sheep. I have other sheep that are not of this sheep pen. I must bring them also. They too will listen to my voice, and there shall be one flock and one shepherd.


And He is the vine


John 15:1‭-‬5 NIV “I am the true vine, and my Father is the gardener. He cuts off every branch in me that bears no fruit, while every branch that does bear fruit he prunes so that it will be even more fruitful. You are already clean because of the word I have spoken to you. Remain in me, as I also remain in you. No branch can bear fruit by itself; it must remain in the vine. Neither can you bear fruit unless you remain in me. “I am the vine; you are the branches. If you remain in me and I in you, you will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing.



  1. When Jesus said, “I am the vine; you are the branches.” 


He wanted his disciples to understand that no external qualifications can set a person right with God—only a personal relationship with Jesus Christ can do that. 


Grape vines are common in Israel. Each year the vines are cut back to conserve the plant’s life and energy. Branches not bearing fruit are cut off. The main point Jesus wanted to get across was that his disciples had to draw strength from him and him alone. As a matter of fact He said, “Apart from me you can do nothing”. 


And then He said


John 15:7 NIV If you remain in me and my words remain in you, ask whatever you wish, and it will be done for you.


Jesus was saying that those who abide in Him and have His words abiding in them may ask what they want, and it will be done.  Here’s the point, if Christ’s words abide in you, you won’t ask any thing that conflicts with the mind of Christ. 


Philippians 2:5‭-‬8 NIV In your relationships with one another, have the same mindset as Christ Jesus: Who, being in very nature God, did not consider equality with God something to be used to his own advantage; rather, he made himself nothing by taking the very nature of a servant, being made in human likeness. And being found in appearance as a man, he humbled himself by becoming obedient to death— even death on a cross!


  1. What are some results of this vine-branch relationship?


You will bear much fruit (vv. 4–5).


John 15:4‭-‬5 NIV Remain in me, as I also remain in you. No branch can bear fruit by itself; it must remain in the vine. Neither can you bear fruit unless you remain in me. “I am the vine; you are the branches. If you remain in me and I in you, you will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing.


What kind of fruit are we called to bear?  We’re called to bear the fruit of Christian character, Christian conduct, and Christian converts!  


First, God wants us to bear the fruit of Christian character.  


Galatians 5:22‭-‬23 NIV But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, forbearance, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law.


These are the qualities of Christian or Christlike character.   


We’re called to bear the fruit of Christian conduct.  


Colossians 1:9‭-‬11 NIV For this reason, since the day we heard about you, we have not stopped praying for you. We continually ask God to fill you with the knowledge of his will through all the wisdom and understanding that the Spirit gives, so that you may live a life worthy of the Lord and please him in every way: bearing fruit in every good work, growing in the knowledge of God, being strengthened with all power according to his glorious might so that you may have great endurance and patience,


Christian character produces Christian conduct.  If we have the Spirit of Christ living in us then he’ll produce Christlike conduct through us.   


Finally, in addition to Christian character and Christian conduct, we should bear the fruit of Christian converts. In the New Testament, Christian converts are described as fruit. 


Romans 16:5 NKJV Likewise greet the church that is in their house. Greet my beloved Epaenetus, who is the firstfruits of Achaia (akia)  to Christ.


Romans 16:5 NIV Greet also the church that meets at their house. Greet my dear friend Epenetus, who was the first convert to Christ in the province of Asia.


People should convert to the Christian faith in part because of the character and conduct they see in us.  Christian converts are like fruit harvested for God.  


Houston said something to me on Wednesday he said if you take 100 men only one would read the bible the other 99 will read you


According to Jesus, God wants us to bear fruit.  


The fruit of Christian character, Christian conduct, and Christian converts.     


As a result of this vine branch relationship, you receive prayer power 


John 15:7 NIV If you remain in me and my words remain in you, ask whatever you wish, and it will be done for you.


If we remain in Jesus and His words remain in us, our prayers will align themselves with God’s will and God’s desires for us.


Because of this relationship your prayers will have power and the more fruitful your life will be. 


This vine branch relationship will glorify the Father


John 15:8 NIV This is to my Father’s glory, that you bear much fruit, showing yourselves to be my disciples.


How will God be glorified on earth? The answer is simple. We are to be so successful in carrying out God’s purpose for our lives that others see Christ in our lives. 


For Christians, all of life’s relationships must grow out of our personal relationship with Jesus.


John 15:9‭-‬14 NIV “As the Father has loved me, so have I loved you. Now remain in my love. If you keep my commands, you will remain in my love, just as I have kept my Father’s commands and remain in his love. I have told you this so that my joy may be in you and that your joy may be complete. My command is this: Love each other as I have loved you. Greater love has no one than this: to lay down one’s life for one’s friends. You are my friends if you do what I command.


  1. The relationship with Christ strongly affects our relationships with one another (John 15:12–17).

The common tie is Jesus.


  1. Christ chose the disciples


John 15:16 NIV You did not choose me, but I chose you and appointed you so that you might go and bear fruit—fruit that will last—and so that whatever you ask in my name the Father will give you.

They were and we are God’s people. 


1 Peter 2:9‭-‬10 NIV But you are a chosen people, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, God’s special possession, that you may declare the praises of him who called you out of darkness into his wonderful light. Once you were not a people, but now you are the people of God; once you had not received mercy, but now you have received mercy.


  1. Their relationship with one another in Christ was characterized by genuine love (vv. 12–13, 17). 


John 15:12‭-‬13 NIV My command is this: Love each other as I have loved you. Greater love has no one than this: to lay down one’s life for one’s friends.


John 15:17 NIV This is my command: Love each other.


In the New Testament, individual Christians could not describe their lives without the term “one another.”, we need to do that today.


They were to bear “one another’s” burdens 


Galatians 6:2 NIV Carry each other’s burdens, and in this way you will fulfill the law of Christ.


They were to admonish “one another” with psalms, hymns, and spiritual songs


Colossians 3:15‭-‬17 NIV Let the peace of Christ rule in your hearts, since as members of one body you were called to peace. And be thankful. Let the message of Christ dwell among you richly as you teach and admonish one another with all wisdom through psalms, hymns, and songs from the Spirit, singing to God with gratitude in your hearts. And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him.


They were to comfort and encourage “one another”


Hebrews 3:13 NIV But encourage one another daily, as long as it is called “Today,” so that none of you may be hardened by sin’s deceitfulness.


They were to pray “one for another”


James 5:16 NIV Therefore confess your sins to each other and pray for each other so that you may be healed. The prayer of a righteous person is powerful and effective.


They were to love “one another” 


1 Peter 1:22‭-‬23 NIV Now that you have purified yourselves by obeying the truth so that you have sincere love for each other, love one another deeply, from the heart. For you have been born again, not of perishable seed, but of imperishable, through the living and enduring word of God.



  1. Because of their relationship with Christ there was a profound relationship with the world.  The same goes for us today (John 15:18–27).

Jesus knows what lies ahead for his disciples, and he warns them. Jesus tells his people what they can expect. 


The Gospel of Mark records just a sample:


Mark 13:9‭-‬13 NIV “You must be on your guard. You will be handed over to the local councils and flogged in the synagogues. On account of me you will stand before governors and kings as witnesses to them. And the gospel must first be preached to all nations. Whenever you are arrested and brought to trial, do not worry beforehand about what to say. Just say whatever is given you at the time, for it is not you speaking, but the Holy Spirit. “Brother will betray brother to death, and a father his child. Children will rebel against their parents and have them put to death. Everyone will hate you because of me, but the one who stands firm to the end will be saved.


Jesus told his disciples that the world hated Him first and because of their relationship with Him the world would hate them too, but their hatred would be proof that they were not of the world.


John 15:18‭-‬21 NIV “If the world hates you, keep in mind that it hated me first. If you belonged to the world, it would love you as its own. As it is, you do not belong to the world, but I have chosen you out of the world. That is why the world hates you. Remember what I told you: ‘A servant is not greater than his master.’ If they persecuted me, they will persecute you also. If they obeyed my teaching, they will obey yours also. They will treat you this way because of my name, for they do not know the one who sent me.


Jesus knew that if people were permanently bonded together by him, he could trust them with his work until he came again.


1 Peter 4:12‭-‬19 NIV Dear friends, do not be surprised at the fiery ordeal that has come on you to test you, as though something strange were happening to you. But rejoice inasmuch as you participate in the sufferings of Christ, so that you may be overjoyed when his glory is revealed. If you are insulted because of the name of Christ, you are blessed, for the Spirit of glory and of God rests on you. If you suffer, it should not be as a murderer or thief or any other kind of criminal, or even as a meddler. However, if you suffer as a Christian, do not be ashamed, but praise God that you bear that name. For it is time for judgment to begin with God’s household; and if it begins with us, what will the outcome be for those who do not obey the gospel of God? And, “If it is hard for the righteous to be saved, what will become of the ungodly and the sinner?” So then, those who suffer according to God’s will should commit themselves to their faithful Creator and continue to do good.


Conclusion

These past few weeks we have gone with the disciples to the upper room to learn the lessons Christ Jesus has for us to learn, the lessons of love, the lessons on heaven and eternal life, the lessons on Jesus' promises and the lessons on relationships with the world, each other and with Christ.   These relationships are nurtured when we acknowledge that without Jesus, we can do nothing because He is the vine, and we are the branches.  


There are many things that, as believers, we ought to be doing. But the one essential thing is to remain in Christ. If we remain in him, we will experience the life he gives to us. And as his life flows through us, we will be fruitful. All the other things we might be called on to do as believers depend on that.


Let’s Pray


Thank You Lord that Your finished work on the cross has made a personal relationship with You possible. You are our Maker and only You can truly satisfy. Thank You that we can seek You and that You can be found. Thank You that You minister to our spirits with Your Truth. Thank You that You are indeed our “Daddy” in heaven. In Christ’s name, Amen.


Sermon Audio




No comments:

Post a Comment