Support this ministry by using the companies and products you see on this blog


Sunday, October 9, 2022

I Am the Good Shepherd




This is the manuscript of the fourth sermon in a series titled "The Adequacy of Jesus Christ", which is a study of the seven ‘I am' sayings of Jesus found in the gospel of John.

In his gospel John consistently shows the relationship between the revelation of God in the Old Testament and the revelation of Jesus as God in the New Testament era.

As God promised to be adequate to meet the needs of Moses and the children of Israel, so Jesus also claimed divine adequacy.

The sermon text is “I am the good shepherd. The good shepherd lays down his life for the sheep” (John 10:11 NIV)
The shepherd’s life was not one to be envied. It was hard and constant. Two-week paid vacations were unheard of. The shepherd’s workweek was twenty-four hours a day seven days a week. He or she faced the elements of nature in all their fury. They endured the dangers of thieves, poachers, and wild beasts.
Jesus is saying that about his relationship to us. He loves us, knows our names, and willingly gives himself on our behalf. He is no coward. He does not find excuses to keep from helping us. He comes quickly and voluntarily to our defense and takes our place in death so that we might live.

Listen to an audio recording of the sermon by clicking on the YouTube link at the end of the manuscript.

You can also watch a video recording of the entire service on the Christ Church YouTube Channel https://youtu.be/1C9hOBO58XI

Visit the Christ Church website at christchurchlosangeles.org.


Scripture Reading:


John 10:1‭-‬6‭, ‬11‭-‬18 NIV “Very truly I tell you Pharisees, anyone who does not enter the sheep pen by the gate, but climbs in by some other way, is a thief and a robber. The one who enters by the gate is the shepherd of the sheep. The gatekeeper opens the gate for him, and the sheep listen to his voice. He calls his own sheep by name and leads them out. When he has brought out all his own, he goes on ahead of them, and his sheep follow him because they know his voice. But they will never follow a stranger; in fact, they will run away from him because they do not recognize a stranger’s voice.” Jesus used this figure of speech, but the Pharisees did not understand what he was telling them. “I am the good shepherd. The good shepherd lays down his life for the sheep. The hired hand is not the shepherd and does not own the sheep. So when he sees the wolf coming, he abandons the sheep and runs away. Then the wolf attacks the flock and scatters it. The man runs away because he is a hired hand and cares nothing for the sheep. “I am the good shepherd; I know my sheep and my sheep know me— just as the Father knows me and I know the Father—and I lay down my life for the sheep. I have other sheep that are not of this sheep pen. I must bring them also. They too will listen to my voice, and there shall be one flock and one shepherd. The reason my Father loves me is that I lay down my life—only to take it up again. No one takes it from me, but I lay it down of my own accord. I have authority to lay it down and authority to take it up again. This command I received from my Father.”


Introduction


Today we continue our series on the seven I Am declarations that Jesus made that are recorded in the book of John. Just a little review.


In his gospel John consistently shows the relationship between the revelation of God in the Old Testament and the revelation of Jesus as God in the New Testament era.


As we have learned, in this series, I AM is the ultimate statement of self-sufficiency, self-existence, and immediate presence. As God promised to be adequate to meet the needs of Moses and the children of Israel, so Jesus also claimed divine adequacy, for mankind.


“God said to Moses, ‘I am who I am. This is what you are to say to the Israelites: I am has sent me to you’” (Exod. 3:14 NIV).


The first I am statement in John’s Gospel was 


John 6:35 NIV Then Jesus declared, “I am the bread of life. 

Whoever comes to me will never go hungry, and whoever believes in me will never be thirsty.


Here he speaks of how He can satisfy, that He is sufficient, and that He provides salvation.


The second was 


John 8:12 NIV When Jesus spoke again to the people, he said, “I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life.”


We learned that Jesus offers true light to a world walking in shadows and darkness. He exposes artificial light as being inferior. He dispels sin and leaves no room for it in a person’s life. He adds zest for living by giving us hope in our darkest hours.


The declaration we examined last week was 


John 10:9 NKJV I am the door. If anyone enters by Me, he will be saved, and will go in and out and find pasture.


Here says that He is the only and true gateway to God, and He offers us eternal life if we believe that he is God’s way to heaven. He also provides us with safety and protection. 


Today we are going to examine the next I Am statement, which is our text today.


Text: “I am the good shepherd. The good shepherd lays down his life for the sheep” (John 10:11 NIV)


One of the most familiar scenes in first-century Palestine was the figure of a shepherd tending his sheep. The land was given more to pastoral livestock than to agricultural farming. Most of the land is like western Texas and Oklahoma—stony and without enough rainfall to support farm crops. So, goat herds and flocks of sheep were common sights.


The shepherd’s life was not one to be envied. It was hard and constant. Two-week paid vacations were unheard of. The shepherd’s workweek was twenty-four hours a day seven days a week. He or she faced the elements of nature in all their fury. They endured the dangers of thieves, poachers, and wild beasts. Because there was little grass, they had to lead the sheep in constant search of food. They also had to be a veterinarian at times.


Many who listened to Jesus were well acquainted with the life of a shepherd, so he used their knowledge of the shepherd and the sheep to illustrate his own relationship to God’s true believers.

Let us look closely at this illustration of Jesus as the Good Shepherd. 


First, the primary function for sheep in Palestine was to produce wool, not for slaughter in the marketplace. 


Consequently, each sheep might be with the shepherd for years and it was common for shepherds to name their sheep based on physical markings, characteristics, or disposition.

Look again at;


John 10:3 NIV The gatekeeper opens the gate for him, and the sheep listen to his voice. He calls his own sheep by name and leads them out.


That means that Jesus knows the name of each of his followers.  If you are a Christian Jesus knows your name.


We live in a world where we are more often a number than a name. 


A number is dehumanizing. It has no personality. It is cold, indifferent, and apathetic. But our names are personal because they were given to us by those who love us. Jesus calls us by name, and He leads us.


As we know John is pointing out in His gospel that Jesus declares that He is God, so your name means something to God. 


In our society, the meaning of a name is not a big deal, but in Bible times, a person’s name was central to their purpose and character.  Names were so important that God changed Abram's name to Abraham 


Genesis 17:4‭-‬5 NIV “As for me, this is my covenant with you: You will be the father of many nations. No longer will you be called Abram; your name will be Abraham, for I have made you a father of many nations..


He changed Sarai's name to Sarah 


Genesis 17:4‭, ‬15‭-‬16 NIV “As for me, this is my covenant with you: You will be the father of many nations. God also said to Abraham, “As for Sarai your wife, you are no longer to call her Sarai; her name will be Sarah. I will bless her and will surely give you a son by her. I will bless her so that she will be the mother of nations; kings of peoples will come from her.”


He also changed Jacob’s name to Israel


Genesis 32:26‭-‬28 NIV Then the man said, “Let me go, for it is daybreak.” But Jacob replied, “I will not let you go unless you bless me.” The man asked him, “What is your name?” “Jacob,” he answered. Then the man said, “Your name will no longer be Jacob, but Israel, because you have struggled with God and with humans and have overcome.”


This shows that names are important to God.


God knows your name! Think about that for a moment, the God of the Universe; the One who created all things, knows your name. It’s hard for us to fully grasp the love God has for us. We are His created beings that He breathed His breath of life into. It was His breath that gave us life and made us eternal. You and I will never stop existing. Your name is etched into eternity. 


That is why Jesus came, lived among mankind, and died on the cross for our sins. God understands that extent of eternity; He knows how devastating it is to have an eternal soul live forever without Him. There is nothing more valuable than something that will last forever.


Luke 10:18‭-‬20 NIV He replied, “I saw Satan fall like lightning from heaven. I have given you authority to trample on snakes and scorpions and to overcome all the power of the enemy; nothing will harm you. However, do not rejoice that the spirits submit to you, but rejoice that your names are written in heaven.” 


Not only does the good shepherd call the names of his sheep, but the sheep know his voice and respond to him. 


John 10:3 NIV The gatekeeper opens the gate for him, and the sheep listen to his voice. He calls his own sheep by name and leads them out.


We can be in a crowd with everyone talking at once and still hear our own name being called. And we can readily recognize whether it is the voice of a stranger calling us or a loved one whose voice we easily recognize.


Studies from the Yale Child Study Center show that soon after birth, a baby will recognize their mother’s voice and will expend great efforts to hear her voice better over unfamiliar female voices. This suggests that prenatal experiences influence a baby’s ability to recognize their mother’s voice. They will start to recognize and form a preference to their father’s voice, as well as other family and friends.


There were two kinds of shepherds in Jesus’ day.


One kind of shepherd was a member of the household that owned the herd of sheep. It might be a son, a daughter, or a servant who was considered part of the family unit.


A second kind of shepherd was hired to care for the sheep. His devotion to duty and to the welfare of the sheep was tempered by his own self-preservation. Jesus points out that if the hired hand sees a band of thieves or some wild beast attacking, he may well abandon the flock to protect himself.


John 10:12‭-‬13 NIV The hired hand is not the shepherd and does not own the sheep. So when he sees the wolf coming, he abandons the sheep and runs away. Then the wolf attacks the flock and scatters it. The man runs away because he is a hired hand and cares nothing for the sheep.


The good shepherd does not run away. 


John 10:10‭-‬11 NIV The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy; I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full. “I am the good shepherd. The good shepherd lays down his life for the sheep.


The good shepherd cares for the sheep and willingly stays to defend them, they are his. Whether the herd is large or small means little to the good shepherd. He cares for them all. The good shepherd knows that sheep are defenseless creatures that cannot protect themselves. His strength and weapons are the only hope the sheep have. The sheep look to their shepherd for protection.



The good shepherd is not doing this pastoring the sheep for money


He does it because they belong to him and his father.  Remember what I said earlier; One kind of shepherd was a member of the household that owned the herd of sheep. It might be a son, a daughter, or a servant who was considered part of the family unit.


Jesus will not abandon us in the face of the enemy. He is not a hired hand. He stands with us and fights for us. He provides for our safety.  He is our brother 


The writer of Hebrews explains how the perfect God-Man, Jesus, could call imperfect humans His brothers and sisters


Hebrews 2:10‭-‬18 NIV In bringing many sons and daughters to glory, it was fitting that God, for whom and through whom everything exists, should make the pioneer of their salvation perfect through what he suffered. Both the one who makes people holy and those who are made holy are of the same family. So Jesus is not ashamed to call them brothers and sisters. He says, “I will declare your name to my brothers and sisters; in the assembly I will sing your praises.” And again, “I will put my trust in him.” And again he says, “Here am I, and the children God has given me.” Since the children have flesh and blood, he too shared in their humanity so that by his death he might break the power of him who holds the power of death—that is, the devil— and free those who all their lives were held in slavery by their fear of death. For surely it is not angels he helps, but Abraham’s descendants. For this reason he had to be made like them, fully human in every way, in order that he might become a merciful and faithful high priest in service to God, and that he might make atonement for the sins of the people. Because he himself suffered when he was tempted, he is able to help those who are being tempted.


The good shepherd is willing to die for his sheep.


The ultimate test of love and devotion is how far someone will go in practicing that love. 


It is one thing to talk of how good a shepherd is or how much he is willing to do, but it is quite another thing for the shepherd to be willing to risk certain death to protect the sheep.


King David appears first in Scripture as a shepherd. Scripture tells of his courage in killing a lion and a bear that came to ravage his father’s flocks. At the risk of personal injury and death, he willingly put his life on the line for them.


1 Samuel 17:34‭-‬35 NIV But David said to Saul, “Your servant has been keeping his father’s sheep. When a lion or a bear came and carried off a sheep from the flock, I went after it, struck it and rescued the sheep from its mouth. When it turned on me, I seized it by its hair, struck it and killed it.


I don't think that David believed he would necessarily have to die to save the sheep. As a matter of fact, David most probably believed that in any one-on-one conflict (even with the giant Goliath) he would not lose his life.


1 Samuel 17:36‭-‬37 NIV Your servant has killed both the lion and the bear; this uncircumcised Philistine will be like one of them, because he has defied the armies of the living God. The Lord who rescued me from the paw of the lion and the paw of the bear will rescue me from the hand of this Philistine.” Saul said to David, “Go, and the Lord be with you.”


Jesus, on the other hand, knew with certainty that for him to be the Good Shepherd, he would have to die for God’s sheep.


Matthew 26:36‭-‬39 Then Jesus went with his disciples to a place called Gethsemane, and he said to them, “Sit here while I go over there and pray.” He took Peter and the two sons of Zebedee along with him, and he began to be sorrowful and troubled. Then he said to them, “My soul is overwhelmed with sorrow to the point of death. Stay here and keep watch with me.” Going a little farther, he fell with his face to the ground and prayed, “My Father, if it is possible, may this cup be taken from me. Yet not as I will, but as you will.” 


‭‬42 NIV He went away a second time and prayed, “My Father, if it is not possible for this cup to be taken away unless I drink it, may your will be done.”


John 15:13 NIV Greater love has no one than this: to lay down one’s life for one’s friends.


This was a death in which Jesus would have to bear the full weight of sin for all of humanity. 


Romans 3:23‭-‬25 NIV for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God, and all are justified freely by his grace through the redemption that came by Christ Jesus. God presented Christ as a sacrifice of atonement, through the shedding of his blood—to be received by faith. He did this to demonstrate his righteousness, because in his forbearance he had left the sins committed beforehand unpunished—


Romans 5:6‭-‬8 NIV You see, at just the right time, when we were still powerless, Christ died for the ungodly. Very rarely will anyone die for a righteous person, though for a good person someone might possibly dare to die. But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us.


It was not just that Jesus would have to die, but the meaning of his death was also part of his decision. 


(John 10:11 NIV) “I am the good shepherd. The good shepherd lays down his life for the sheep” .


And he did exactly that.

Conclusion


Most of us would willingly sacrifice our lives for the sake of our families. Human history is filled with such stories of love and devotion. People who run into burning houses or people who swim into deep water to save loved ones are not uncommon.


Jesus is saying that about his relationship to us. He loves us, knows our names, and willingly gives himself on our behalf. He is no coward. He does not find excuses to keep from helping us. He comes quickly and voluntarily to our defense and takes our place in death so that we might live.


This is a great love, and it calls us to respond with great love and loyalty.


Let's pray,


The Lord is my shepherd, I lack nothing. He makes me lie down in green pastures, he leads me beside quiet waters, he refreshes my soul. He guides me along the right paths for his name’s sake. Even though I walk through the darkest valley, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me. You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies. You anoint my head with oil; my cup overflows. Surely your goodness and love will follow me all the days of my life, and I will dwell in the house of the Lord forever.


Jesus, thank you for your leading, your discipline, your protection, and your sacrifice. Without you, we would be lost. Thank you for loving us enough to lay down your life in order to save us, Jesus, and we praise you for being mighty enough to pick your life back up, conquering death and sin! You are so awesome, Jesus, and you make our lives worth living. You give us security and confidence. You know what is good for us and what would threaten us. You are so good, our Good Shepherd. We love you!


Thank you for being our Good Shepherd. In Jesus name Amen


Sermon Audio





No comments:

Post a Comment