Support this ministry by using the companies and products you see on this blog


Sunday, March 12, 2023

Going to Jerusalem





Click below for the sermon manuscript that begins a spiritual journey to Jerusalem that I simply call "Going to Jerusalem ", which will take us up to Easter.

On this journey We will be walking with Jesus through those crucial hours surrounding his crucifixion and resurrection.  As we go on this spiritual journey, I want us to carefully observe the individuals on the journey with Jesus. When we look carefully, we will see ourselves.  

Will you join me on a journey to know God’s will and to do it? Will you make the commitment to follow him wherever he leads, even into the hottest spot? Set your face toward Jerusalem, remembering the words of him who has gone before you: 

"For whoever wants to save their life will lose it, but whoever loses their life for me will find it."(Matthew 16:25 NIV)


Scripture Reading: 

Luke 9:18‭-‬27 NIV Once when Jesus was praying in private and his disciples were with him, he asked them, “Who do the crowds say I am?” They replied, “Some say John the Baptist; others say Elijah; and still others, that one of the prophets of long ago has come back to life.” “But what about you?” he asked. “Who do you say I am?” Peter answered, “God’s Messiah.” Jesus strictly warned them not to tell this to anyone. And he said, “The Son of Man must suffer many things and be rejected by the elders, the chief priests and the teachers of the law, and he must be killed and on the third day be raised to life.” Then he said to them all: “Whoever wants to be my disciple must deny themselves and take up their cross daily and follow me. For whoever wants to save their life will lose it, but whoever loses their life for me will save it. What good is it for someone to gain the whole world, and yet lose or forfeit their very self? Whoever is ashamed of me and my words, the Son of Man will be ashamed of them when he comes in his glory and in the glory of the Father and of the holy angels. “Truly I tell you, some who are standing here will not taste death before they see the kingdom of God.”


Luke 9:51 NIV As the time approached for him to be taken up to heaven, Jesus resolutely set out for Jerusalem.


Introduction


Each year thousands of pilgrims make their way to Israel and the holy city of Jerusalem. For many it is the fulfillment of a lifetime to say, “I walked today where Jesus walked.” A journey to Jerusalem can be a rewarding travel experience. Some of you may have had the opportunity to visit Isreal and Jerusalem.  


Today we begin a spiritual journey to Jerusalem, in a sermon series I simply call "Going to Jerusalem ", which will take us up to Easter.


On this journey We will be walking with Jesus through those crucial hours surrounding his crucifixion and resurrection.  As we go on this spiritual journey, I want us to carefully observe the individuals on the journey with Jesus. When we look carefully, we will see ourselves.   


In chapters 9–20 of his gospel, Luke mentions Jesus’ movement toward Jerusalem several times.


Luke 9:51‭-‬53 NIV As the time approached for him to be taken up to heaven, Jesus resolutely set out for Jerusalem. And he sent messengers ahead, who went into a Samaritan village to get things ready for him; but the people there did not welcome him, because he was heading for Jerusalem.


Luke 13:22‭-‬25 NIV Then Jesus went through the towns and villages, teaching as he made his way to Jerusalem. Someone asked him, “Lord, are only a few people going to be saved?” He said to them, “Make every effort to enter through the narrow door, because many, I tell you, will try to enter and will not be able to. Once the owner of the house gets up and closes the door, you will stand outside knocking and pleading, ‘Sir, open the door for us.’ “But he will answer, ‘I don’t know you or where you come from.’


Luke 17:11‭-‬13 NIV Now on his way to Jerusalem, Jesus traveled along the border between Samaria and Galilee. As he was going into a village, ten men who had leprosy met him. They stood at a distance and called out in a loud voice, “Jesus, Master, have pity on us!”


Luke 18:31‭-‬33 NIV Jesus took the Twelve aside and told them, “We are going up to Jerusalem, and everything that is written by the prophets about the Son of Man will be fulfilled. He will be delivered over to the Gentiles. They will mock him, insult him and spit on him; they will flog him and kill him. On the third day he will rise again.”


Luke 19:28‭-‬31 NIV After Jesus had said this, he went on ahead, going up to Jerusalem. As he approached Bethphage and Bethany at the hill called the Mount of Olives, he sent two of his disciples, saying to them, “Go to the village ahead of you, and as you enter it, you will find a colt tied there, which no one has ever ridden. Untie it and bring it here. If anyone asks you, ‘Why are you untying it?’ say, ‘The Lord needs it.’ ”


Luke uses this repetition to signal a decisive turn in Jesus’ ministry. Jesus’ journey to Jerusalem is what gives meaning to Easter.


 I. An act of courage.


 A. Jerusalem was the hot spot. 


It was the center of Jewish life and religion. It was also the center of growing animosity to Jesus and His ministry. Jesus’ decision to “set out for Jerusalem” was a deliberate choice to enter the storm. Jesus demonstrated true courage by going to Jerusalem. 


On one occasion when Jesus announced his intention to go to Bethany to the home of Lazarus, the disciples warned him, 


John 11:5‭-‬8 NIV Now Jesus loved Martha and her sister and Lazarus. So when he heard that Lazarus was sick, he stayed where he was two more days, and then he said to his disciples, “Let us go back to Judea.” “But Rabbi,” they said, “a short while ago the Jews there tried to stone you, and yet you are going back?”


This was Jesus' response 


John 11:9‭-‬10 NIV…“Are there not twelve hours of daylight? Anyone who walks in the daytime will not stumble, for they see by this world’s light. It is when a person walks at night that they stumble, for they have no light.”


Jesus’ journey to Jerusalem was not the irresponsible action of a blind fanatic. He knew the risks but met them with courage. He knew what he was facing.


 B. Our example. 


With Jesus as our example, I want us to realize and understand that Christian commitment does not shrink from involvement when the heat gets turned up in the hot spot. Jesus is the constant xample and inspiration for us to face life and its difficulties with courage.


Just like the writer of Hebrews said in 


Hebrews 12:1‭-‬3 NIV Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles. And let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us, fixing our eyes on Jesus, the pioneer and perfecter of faith. For the joy set before him he endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God. Consider him who endured such opposition from sinners, so that you will not grow weary and lose heart.


II. Jesus had a Commitment to God’s will.


The journey to Jerusalem was part of Jesus’ desire to do the Father’s will.


He expressed the desire to do God’s will when He was only twelve years old. 


Luke 2:41‭-‬42‭, NKJV His parents went to Jerusalem every year at the Feast of the Passover. And when He was twelve years old, they went up to Jerusalem according to the custom of the feast.


‬46‭-‬50 Now so it was that after three days they found Him in the temple, sitting in the midst of the teachers, both listening to them and asking them questions. And all who heard Him were astonished at His understanding and answers. So when they saw Him, they were amazed; and His mother said to Him, “Son, why have You done this to us? Look, Your father and I have sought You anxiously.” And He said to them, “Why did you seek Me? Did you not know that I must be about My Father’s business?” But they did not understand the statement which He spoke to them.


Later on after He started His public ministry 


Jesus declared in John 6:38‭-‬40 NIV  “For I have come down from heaven not to do my will but to do the will of him who sent me. And this is the will of him who sent me, that I shall lose none of all those he has given me, but raise them up at the last day. For my Father’s will is that everyone who looks to the Son and believes in him shall have eternal life, and I will raise them up at the last day.”


His prayer on the night of His arrest  summarized his entire life: 


Luke 22:39‭-‬42 NIV Jesus went out as usual to the Mount of Olives, and his disciples followed him. On reaching the place, he said to them, “Pray that you will not fall into temptation.” He withdrew about a stone’s throw beyond them, knelt down and prayed, “Father, if you are willing, take this cup from me; yet not my will, but yours be done.”


Just think of the impact we could have on the world, what 

could be done through us if we had a similar commitment to do God’s will? 


B. A willing offering. 


Some people view the will of God as a decision forced on us. But God didn't coerce Jesus to die on the cross. His message and the nature of his person made it inevitable. Sin and holiness conflict; holy people have a hard time in this world and Jesus knew that. He knew this but still remained willing to give himself. He said,


John 10:14‭-‬18 NIV “I am the good shepherd; I know my sheep and my sheep know me— just as the Father knows me and I know the Father—and I lay down my life for the sheep. I have other sheep that are not of this sheep pen. I must bring them also. They too will listen to my voice, and there shall be one flock and one shepherd. The reason my Father loves me is that I lay down my life—only to take it up again. No one takes it from me, but I lay it down of my own accord. I have authority to lay it down and authority to take it up again. This command I received from my Father.”


Christ became our sin offering. He voluntarily offered himself for our sins to free us from sin and death. The writer of Hebrews explained, 


Hebrews 10:5‭-‬10 NIV Therefore, when Christ came into the world, he said: “Sacrifice and offering you did not desire, but a body you prepared for me; with burnt offerings and sin offerings you were not pleased. Then I said, ‘Here I am—it is written about me in the scroll— I have come to do your will, my God.’ ” First he said, “Sacrifices and offerings, burnt offerings and sin offerings you did not desire, nor were you pleased with them”—though they were offered in accordance with the law. Then he said, “Here I am, I have come to do your will.” He sets aside the first to establish the second. And by that will, we have been made holy through the sacrifice of the body of Jesus Christ once for all.


III. Lose life to find life.


 A. Take up the cross. 


Christ’s offering of His life brought life. In a few weeks, we will celebrate the event that culminated Christ’s journey to Jerusalem. Do not forget that the crucifixion preceded the resurrection. The discovery of life comes in the loss of life. To possess that life, we must offer our lives too. We must do God’s will and give our lives too. 


Jesus said,


Matthew 16:24‭-‬26 NIV… “Whoever wants to be my disciple must deny themselves and take up their cross and follow me. For whoever wants to save their life will lose it, but whoever loses their life for me will find it. What good will it be for someone to gain the whole world, yet forfeit their soul? Or what can anyone give in exchange for their soul?


There can be no real life without that courageous decision to deny yourself. 


 B. Lent—a journey to Jerusalem


We are now in the midst of Lent, the forty days preceding Easter. These are days of spiritual preparation, renewal, and dedication. Lent corresponds to Christ’s journey to Jerusalem. On his way to Jerusalem, Christ tried to lead the disciples into God’s will and enable them to give themselves. The Master Teacher taught crucial lessons about values and motives. 


Conclusion 


Will you join me on a journey to know God’s will and to do it? Will you make the commitment to follow him wherever he leads, even into the hottest spot? Set your face toward Jerusalem, remembering the words of him who has gone before you: 


Matthew 16:25 NIV For whoever wants to save their life will lose it, but whoever loses their life for me will find it.


Prayer 


Dear Father God, thank You for sending Jesus, Who was the great example of a man Who walked in spirit and truth and Who waited upon God. A man with a servant-heart and a desire to do Your will. Thank You for Jesus, Who throughout His life, demonstrated Himself to be a person that would wait on You in every situation and do only those things that He heard from You.


Father, in the power of the Holy Spirit, I pray that we too may learn how to wait on You and quietly rest in Your will. Lord, empty us so that we may be filled with You.


Thank You that Jesus is our worthy example as well as being our Redeemer and Saviour. And because Jesus is now our life, I pray that we may live as He did;


A life that is led by the Spirit.


A life that walks in spirit and grace.


A life that seeks to do Your will.


A life that waits in patient expectation on You.


For to You belongs all power and wisdom and majesty and strength, and without You we can do nothing. Help us to follow the example of Jesus and it is in His name I pray,


Amen.




No comments:

Post a Comment