In the first sermon, “The God We Often Miss”, we established that the Holy Spirit is not an impersonal force or an abstract feeling, but fully God—a distinct Person of the Trinity who desires daily communion with us.
In the second sermon, “The Breath of Life”, we move from the Spirit’s personal identity to His transforming work in human hearts.
It this, the third sermon we talk about the Helper that Jesus said he was sending to to be with and in His followers forever.
Nevertheless I tell you the truth. It is to your advantage that I go away; for if I do not go away, the Helper will not come to you; but if I depart, I will send Him to you. (John 16:7 NKJV)
On the night before His death, Jesus made a statement to His disciples that must have sounded completely illogical: "It is to your advantage that I go away". To followers who had physically leaned on Him and witnessed His miracles for three years, nothing seemed better than having Jesus right in front of them. Yet, Jesus explained that as long as He remained in a localized human body, He could only be in one place at a time. By departing, He would send the Holy Spirit—meaning God would no longer just be with them, but in every believer, everywhere, at all times.
There are three vital dimensions of the Spirit's presence in the believer's life:
An Advocate: In an ancient court of law, a paraklete was a legal defender standing beside you on trial—stepping in when you feel accused, overwhelmed, or without answers.
A Comforter: In crushing hardship or grief, the paraklete was the companion who sat in the dust with you so you never have to navigate deep pain alone.
A Guide: On a dangerous, unfamiliar journey, the paraklete was the experienced scout leading you into all truth.
In a noisy culture filled with competing opinions, the Holy Spirit acts as a steady compass, illuminating Scripture and guiding believers into Christ's wisdom. Let’s stop reaching for human approval or spiraling in anxiety, and instead turn inward in prayer to rely on the Helper who walks alongside us every day. You are never abandoned; the Spirit walks alongside you as an advocate in trials and a guide into all truth.
Scripture:
John 16:1-15 NKJV[1] “These things I have spoken to you, that you should not be made to stumble. [2] They will put you out of the synagogues; yes, the time is coming that whoever kills you will think that he offers God service. [3] And these things they will do to you because they have not known the Father nor Me. [4] But these things I have told you, that when the time comes, you may remember that I told you of them. And these things I did not say to you at the beginning, because I was with you. [5] “But now I go away to Him who sent Me, and none of you asks Me, ‘Where are You going?’ [6] But because I have said these things to you, sorrow has filled your heart. [7] Nevertheless I tell you the truth. It is to your advantage that I go away; for if I do not go away, the Helper will not come to you; but if I depart, I will send Him to you. [8] And when He has come, He will convict the world of sin, and of righteousness, and of judgment: [9] of sin, because they do not believe in Me; [10] of righteousness, because I go to My Father and you see Me no more; [11] of judgment, because the ruler of this world is judged. [12] “I still have many things to say to you, but you cannot bear them now. [13] However, when He, the Spirit of truth, has come, He will guide you into all truth; for He will not speak on His own authority, but whatever He hears He will speak; and He will tell you things to come. [14] He will glorify Me, for He will take of what is Mine and declare it to you. [15] All things that the Father has are Mine. Therefore I said that He will take of Mine and declare it to you.
Sermon
The Stunning Advantage
Imagine walking beside Jesus of Nazareth for three years. You saw Him calm violent storms with a single sentence, raise the dead back to life, and speak with wisdom that silenced the greatest religious minds of the day. To sit at His table, hear His voice, and physically lean on His shoulder was to experience heaven touching earth.
Now imagine Him looking at you in an upper room on the night before His death and saying, "I'm going away but "It is to your advantage that I go away".
To the disciples, that statement must have sounded completely illogical. How could anything be better than having Jesus right in front of them?
Jesus explained that unless He departed, the Helper would not come; but by going, He would send the Spirit directly to them.
Here’s our text for today;
Text :
John 16:7 NKJV Nevertheless I tell you the truth. It is to your advantage that I go away; for if I do not go away, the Helper will not come to you; but if I depart, I will send Him to you.
As long as Jesus was in a physical human body, He was localized—He could only be in one room, in one town, at one time. But through the Holy Spirit, God would no longer just be with them; He would be in every believer, everywhere, all the time.
John 14:15-18 NKJV [15] “If you love Me, keep My commandments. [16] And I will pray the Father, and He will give you another Helper, that He may abide with you forever— [17] the Spirit of truth, whom the world cannot receive, because it neither sees Him nor knows Him; but you know Him, for He dwells with you and will be in you. [18] I will not leave you orphans; I will come to you.
Years later here’s what the Apostle Paul tell us;
I Corinthians 3:16-17 NKJV [16] Do you not know that you are the temple of God and that the Spirit of God dwells in you? [17] If anyone defiles the temple of God, God will destroy him. For the temple of God is holy, which temple you are.
I Corinthians 6:19-20 NKJV [19] Or do you not know that your body is the temple of the Holy Spirit who is in you, whom you have from God, and you are not your own? [20] For you were bought at a price; therefore glorify God in your body and in your spirit, which are God’s.
The One Called Alongside
The Greek word that Jesus used for Helper is Paraklete.
John 14:15-16 NKJV [15] “If you love Me, keep My commandments. [16] And I will pray the Father, and He will give you another Helper, that He may abide with you forever—
This word literally means "one called alongside to help, "It is a term rich in meaning;
In an ancient court of law, a paraklete was a legal defender who stood beside you when you were on trial.
In times of deep grief or crushing hardship, the paraklete was the companion who sat in the dust with you.
On a dangerous, unfamiliar journey, the paraklete was the experienced scout leading you.
When life overwhelms you, you do not have to fight alone. The Holy Spirit is your divine Helper/Advocate, stepping in when you feel accused, lost, or completely without answers.
Guided Into All Truth
Jesus promises that when the Spirit of truth comes, He will guide you into all truth.
John 16:13 NKJV [13] However, when He, the Spirit of truth, has come, He will guide you into all truth; for He will not speak on His own authority, but whatever He hears He will speak; and He will tell you things to come.
In today’s culture which is flooded with competing voices, shifting opinions, and constant noise, the Holy Spirit acts as a steady compass. He shines a light on Scripture, and brings clarity to confusion, and puts the wisdom of Christ directly into your heart.
You are never left to navigate grief, decisions, family strain, or spiritual doubts on your own strength. The same Spirit that comforted the disciples in their darkest hour is in you and walks with you today.
Application for the Week
Start bringing your anxiety and confusion directly to the Holy Spirit in prayer. Instead of immediately reaching for your phone, seeking human approval, or spiraling in your own thoughts when confusion hits, pause and turn inward. Pray a simple prayer of trust: "Holy Spirit, my Helper and Advocate, I am anxious about this situation. Guide me into Your truth and help me walk through this day in Your strength."
Heavenly Father, Almighty God,
We come before You today with hearts full of gratitude for the profound gift of Your Holy Spirit. We thank You for the truth of Your Word—that through Christ, we are never left as orphans, abandoned to face the trials, confusions, and storms of this life on our own strength.
Holy Spirit, Paraklete, our Helper and Advocate—we acknowledge Your presence with us today.
Where there is accusation, doubt, or spiritual trial, step in as our Advocate to remind us of who we are in Christ and the grace that covers us.
Where there is grief, heartbreak, or crushing burden, sit with us as our Comforter, wrapping us in Your divine peace that surpasses all human understanding.
Where there is confusion, uncertainty, or tough decisions ahead, guide us into all truth, illuminating Scripture and giving us wisdom for every step.
Forgive us for the times we have tried to fight our battles alone or turned to human solutions before seeking Your counsel. Teach us to pause, turn inward, and listen to Your quiet, steady voice. May we be confident in the truth that the same God who walks beside us also dwells within us.
In the precious and powerful name of Jesus Christ, our Lord and Savior, we pray.
Amen.

No comments:
Post a Comment